1. Who is required to have a background check?
In addition to all employees, background checks are required of volunteers, contract service providers, and student teachers. Generally, anyone who will spend time on or off campus interacting with students is required to have a background check.
2. What exactly is being checked?
The background check is a criminal history check. We use your information and run it against government databases to check for misdemeanor and/or felony violations.
3. How much will it cost me?
There is no cost to you: SWCS pays the $5 fee. We welcome a $5 donation to cover the cost though!
4. How will I know when I have been approved?
Please wait two weeks for your application to process before checking with Marlene to see if you were approved.
5. How frequently must I have my background checked?
Background checks must be renewed at least every two years.
6. Do I have to give my Social Security Number?
Providing your social security number is optional, but all other information must be completed fully.
7. What happens if I don’t pass the background check?
If you fail to clear the background check, you will not be able to volunteer for some/all duties you applied for. Different volunteer positions have different requirements. You will be notified by mail if you fail to clear the background check. Please contact Marlene in the office for further details.
8. What kind of things will disqualify me from being a volunteer?
Different volunteer positions have different requirements. Generally, the more serious the offense, and the more recent the offense, the more likely it is that you will not be able to serve as a volunteer.